Citrus is in high-season during the winter months and now is the perfect time to rev up your immune system and boost your mood with zesty citrus salads.
This favorite crowd-pleasing recipe is bursting with flavor. And it only takes 10 minutes to prepare!
2 Ruby Red grapefruits
2 Navel oranges
2 Blood oranges
2 Tbs toasted almonds or pine nuts, coarsely chopped
shallot, peeled and minced (option to add a few fennel slices, too)
3 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs Sherry or Champagne vinegar
tsp Agave honey
Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
Fresh flat-leaf parsley, mint or tarragon leaves, chopped for garnish
1. Make rounds of each citrus fruit after removing white pithy skin from each. Place prepared citrus in a large bowl.
2. Lightly toast almonds over medium heat in a pan for 1 or 2 minutes. Remove from heat and chop. Seat aside.
3. Peel and mince shallot over a small bowl. Add oil, vinegar, honey, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir dressing until well combined. Add salt to taste. Drizzle dressing over citrus rounds and sprinkle top with toasted chopped nuts.
4. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve immediately.
Just the right mixture of garlic and cashews with everyone's favorite side dish, broccoli. And, so very easy to make!
PREP: 10 mins
COOK: 10 mins
READY IN: 20 mins
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped salted cashews
Place the broccoli into a large pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes, or until tender but still crisp. Drain, and arrange broccoli on a serving platter.
While the broccoli is cooking, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Mix in the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Mix in the cashews, and pour the sauce over the broccoli. Serve immediately.